Friday, April 10, 2009

What rhymes with varmint?

Two and a half excellent anecdotes from today.

We made a food stop in Elko, NV at about 5pm. I was at a large grocery store and needed to use the bathroom, which was located in the rear of the store up a flight of stairs. A woman and presumably her daughter, about 14 years old and mentally challenged, were just head of me as I walked towards the stairs. The mom went first, girl followed at a slower pace, and then me. I was immediately behind the girl and a little to her left side. Her right hand was on the rail as she stepped one step at a time, and after a few steps in, I noticed she was holding her left hand out to me, and not looking at me directly but kind of just aware of me and making a gesture. So I took her hand and we walked up the stairs together. Then we went into two stalls next to one another and after a brief moment, she started gleefully clapping as if she just won the lottery. Ah the joys of life.

I took my first driving shift after that stop, and minutes in, saw a billboard like no other I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot). There was a picture of a large brown rodent on the left, and on the right the words "FIND OUT WHAT RHYMES WITH 'VARMINT'." It was an add for the "Cowboy Poetry Gathering" further details of which I do not know because I was driving and couldn't read the sign fast enough to find out when and where.

I almost ran the gas tank dry today. There's a long stretch on I-80 between NV and UT with no gas stations. I knew this and still managed to not gas up when I should have. But we made it to a Chevron, and then to our final destination: "Bountiful, UT."

No comments:

Post a Comment